Desserts ~ Now tell me one person who does not like it. That too easy one yet it will satisfy you on any given day. I have mentioned before that I do not like to make lengthy, tedious desserts. That’s just me but I know many people who indulge in desserts so much that they can bake all day. Hats off to them, but it’s just not my cup of tea. Strawberries are fresh in season and I had so much at home. I wanted to take advantage of these bright colored fruits while they last as summer is almost over and so I buy them in huge boxes. My family almost finished all the strawberries but there were a few left over in the bottom which weren’t that crisp and fresh but I did not feel like throwing them, so here was born the recipe idea.
Strawberry Ricotta Purse
Recipe: (Makes about 4 – 5)
1. Fillo (Phyllo) Dough
2. 1 & 1/2 tbsp powdered sugar
3. Approximately 15 raisins
4. 2 small cardamom pods
5. 1 cup Ricotta cheese
6. 5 – 6 Fresh strawberries
7. Chocolate syrup
8. 1 tbsp Melted butter
1. Follow instructions on the fillo dough container for thawing.
2. In a blender, puree the strawberries without water. Mix some of it with ricotta cheese and raisins. Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and powder it. Sprinkle it in the ricotta mixture. Add about 1/2 tbsp of sugar, mix well and taste. Adjust for sweetness by adding more sugar if needed. The filling should be thick and not watery. If it is watery then it means too much strawberry puree has been added. So, be careful while you add the puree. The filling is ready.
3. Take one sheet of the fillo dough making sure to quickly cover the rest with a damp cloth. Brush melted butter all over, sprinkle some sugar all over. Repeat the steps until 6 layers of fillo dough. Cut into approximately 5 inch x 5 inch squares.
4. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Place a spoonful of the strawberry ricotta mixture in the center making sure not too much mixture is added otherwise they will ooze out when covering with the dough. Gather all the sides of the fillo dough and close the mixture in the center forming a purse. Brush the outer surface with melted butter.
5. Bake in the over for about 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Drizzle some chocolate syrup on the serving plate, place the strawberry ricotta purses, drizzle some more chocolate on top of the purses and dust it with powdered sugar. Garnish with fresh strawberry. Serve warm.
Strawberry Ricotta Purse
TIP: Cut a small strip of the dough and go around the neck of the purse like a string in a drawstring purse