The cold windy days is keeping all of us away from outdoors much as we need. To me, this also translates into eating out less to avoid wearing those layers and layers of heavy jackets to keep ourselves warm. It’s good that we eat more healthy since we avoid restaurant food and I also get to experiment with new recipes and use my family as taste testers and critics. As you may know by now I am a non baker and I hate baking. For me food has to be a no-brainer, easy, eye-ball and adjust but baking requires a lot of meticulously measured ingredients, time sensitive etc which is just not for me. I salute those who have the skill to bake and I am happy to eat the end baked product. I wish that one day I will also find baking as easy as cooking. Hence you will see most of my dessert recipes are bake free with the exceptions of muffins and cupcakes. And when my family craves for a dessert, muffins, cupcakes are very easy to put together. They require very less ingredients and less time consuming and comes out perfect every single time and my 4 year old is super happy. This chilly morning I tried to put a twist to my old fashioned muffins with one extra ingredient and believe me, more than my little one, my husband was like “wow”.
* 1 1/2 cup flour
* Any edible food coloring
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 cup water
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 tsp white vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Place paper cups inside muffin trays
2. Combine all dry ingredients.
3. Mix the vegetable oil water and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and then pour them into the large the dry ingredients. Stir until mixture is smooth and without lumps.
4. Add the vinegar and stir.
5. Divide the batter into as many food coloring as you want to use, I had 4 so i divided into 4 equal parts.
6. Mix a drop or so of the one food color into one divided batter portion, the other food color into another and so on and mix.
7. Pour a spoonful of one colored batter into all muffin cups, followed by other color and so on.
8. Fill the cupcake pans 2/3 full.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 – 20 minutes.
10.Remove from the oven and let it cool for sometime.
11. Open the center and see the rainbow colors and enjoy.
TIP: Insert a tooth pick into the center of the muffin and remove. If it comes out clean, then the muffin is completely cooked, else bake it for another 5 mins or so.